Planning, Building, & Zoning Department

The Planning, Building & Zoning Department is a four-person department whose responsibilities are to evaluate all building permit requests. The individuals involved are the Building Commissioner, Building Coordinator, Town Administrator, & Town Administrative Assistant.

When a request for a building permit is received, the Building Department evaluates the permit, setbacks, zoning ordinance requirements, floodplain management requirements, land-use requirements, proper materials, and construction practices.  If all of the above comply, a building permit will be issued. The person requesting the permit pays the fees and receives the permit, which has one year to complete the project. If the project isn’t completed within one year, the resident may apply for a one-year extension at half the original permit cost. Inspections are conducted before, during, and after construction completion and before occupancy permit approval. Any inspection failure will necessitate a re-inspection fee and re-inspection. Once the project is completed, a final inspection is made, and an occupancy permit is issued.

If during either evaluation there are concerns, questions, or required changes, the Building Commissioner will contact the person requesting the permit for additional information and or visit the site of the project for additional information or clarification.

Who needs to apply for a building permit?

It has been said that if you put anything together with a nail, screws or nuts and bolts, you need a permit. However, there are projects that do not require permits. It is suggested that when in double check with the Building Department before you start your project. We are here to help you.

Here is a list of most of the projects you will need permits for: New Structure permits (i.e. houses, condos, multiple family, offices, stores, garages, or storage buildings), Remodeling or Foundation Repair, Fences, Swimming Pools, Decks, Additions, Alterations, Occupancy permits, Demolition permits, and Sign permits.

What happens if I do a project and did not seek a permit?

If you do any building or changing of a structure without a permit, you will be “red tagged”, fined, and be required to apply and pay for a permit. The reason for the permit and inspections is to assure that what is being done is safe, located properly and that the correct construction methods are followed.

What are the guide lines for approval?

The authority for inspection and approval of any project are the State and Local building, plumbing, electrical and structural codes. Also:

  • IDEM-Indiana Department of Environmental Management
  • DNR-Department of Natural Resources, and Storm Water Ordinance
  • FEMA-Federal Emergency Management Agency
  • Cedar Lake Zoning Ordinance
  • Cedar Lake Subdivision Ordinance

In addition, the PZB department through the Building Commissioner is responsible for inspecting the structures that may be designated as Unsafe Building, which may be recommended for demolition.

Questions or concerns, please call the Planning Building and Zoning Department at 219-374-7400, we are here to help!

Office Information:

7408 Constitution Ave
Cedar Lake, IN 46303

Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00am to 5:00pm

Phone: 219-374-7400
Fax: 219-374-8588

Town Codes

Building & Planning Forms

TitleContentDocument TypesDocumentDocument Groupsdocument_types_hfilterdocument_groups_hfilter
Annexation Petitionopens PDF file FormBuilding & Planning, General, Town Councilformbuilding-planning general town-council
Facade Improvement Program Applicationopens PDF file Form7613Building & Planning, General, Town Councilformbuilding-planning general town-council
Road Cut Permit Applicationopens PDF file Form4904Building & Planning, Public Works, Streetsformbuilding-planning public-works streets
Storm Water – Self Monitoringopens PDF file Form4243Building & Planning, Storm Waterformbuilding-planning storm-water
Storm Water – Permit Applicationopens PDF file Form4237Building & Planning, Storm Waterformbuilding-planning storm-water
Storm Water – Rule 13 Notice of Intentopens PDF file Form4205Building & Planning, Storm Waterformbuilding-planning storm-water
New Contractors Licenseopens PDF file Form2074Building & Planningformbuilding-planning
Building Permit Applicationopens PDF file Form9020Building & Planningformbuilding-planning
Plan Commission Applicationopens PDF file Form8740Building & Planningformbuilding-planning
Variance Applicationopens PDF file Form8741Building & Planningformbuilding-planning