The Cedar Lake Public Works Department collects tree branches, starting on the first business day monthly from April through December 1st, weather permitting. Branch pick up will be within the first 5 to 10 business days of the month. Please have branches ready before the first business day of each month.
Residents are welcome to dispose of branches at the Public Works Department, Monday through Friday from 7am to 3pm. If you’d like to dispose of your branches at Public Works, please stop in the main office first and present your driver’s license and/or your most recent Cedar Lake utility bill.
The branch pickup service is for residents who have performed regular maintenance on their trees, on their property and have small to medium sized piles. Branch piles will be picked up at the discretion of the Public Works.
If a resident uses a tree trimming service, it must be licensed within the town and branch piles will be picked up at the discretion of the Public Works. This service allows residents an appropriate way to dispose of green waste; it is not intended to supplement or compete with private contractors.
Branch Collection Guidelines
- For safety reasons, branches must be at least 48 inches in length. Anything shorter is considered yard waste and should be cut up and deposited in your regular, weekly trash collection
- The Town’s chipping equipment can safely process branches up to 8 inches in diameter.
- Grass, bricks, stones, metal objects, stumps or branches larger than 8 inches in diameter should not be placed in branch piles. These materials can damage the chipping equipment, which could result in injury to a Town employee.
- Branch piles will be bypassed and will receive a door hanger if any improper items are noticed.
- Please do not mix leaves, yard waste, and branches together.
- Please do not bundle branches or place them in containers or bags.
- Do not place branches by mailboxes, waterways, drainage, or utility poles.
- Calling when yard work is completed is not necessary.
- Public Works has a regular route starting at one end of town and continuing to the other end of town until the entire Town is picked up/serviced.